Saturday, April 02, 2005

Mortal thoughts... the begining

WOW! I finally managed to have me own blog! I have always thought of starting a blog since a long time but my thoughts never got a voice and died as thoughts. Hence the title “mortal thoughts”. Speaking of mortal – I wonder what is it that makes us humans feel we are immortal? I mean the way we behave and live as if we are going to live for a zillion years. Not trying to get philosophical here, but I am writing this after an incident. An Omani friend got promoted to a very high govt. position recently. He was the boy next door kinda guy, you know affable, eating shawarma at the roadside café types. We knew each other since some time and he had a reasonable amount of money and drove a Maxima. So he became this Mr. High position guy and I wanted to call him up immediately and congratulate him. I called his mobile and guess what? Phone was disconnected. I later found out that he had changed his number. Never mind, he is a big shot now he deserves to have his old pals not bother him. But he would surely be pleased to meet me though, or so I thought. I went to his ministry only to find out he is extremely busy and cant see anyone till 3 weeks later, conveyed by his secretary who gave a facial expression that said “buzz off”. I confidently told her my name and asked her to convey this to her boss. Visibly irritated, she relented and came back (rather triumphant) with the same answer – an appointment after 3 weeks! I couldn’t believe my ears. Maybe he really was busy. What the hell, Ill come back after 3 weeks. In the run up to those 3 weeks I found out that the guy changed his house, his car, his servants and his friends. Good to know he didn’t change his kids and wife. 3 weeks later I was in his office at the given time and was made to wait for a full 30 minutes before his secretary ushered me in his office. The man didn’t stand up to greet me nor did he bother to raise his head. So, he had even changed his attitude! I congratulated him and got an ephemeral thanks. We sat in silence for some time before he said he had to go somewhere in 5 minutes. I got up, said thanks to him and vanished. God knows what he thinks he had become and how long does he think he will have it all. Remember Saddam? Some tidbits- From the Daily mail, UK – A notice at the rail station car park in Guildford, Surrey: “We regret to announce that this car park will be free until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause but it is due to circumstances beyond our control” An apology I would gladly accept!!! A man in Chile won a car after kissing it for 54 hours 22 minutes nonstop. He was given the keys only after his remaining rival fainted. “My desire for the car was more” he quipped.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Money changes people….sad to hear this but I guess this person got influenced by the leisure of what life can offer when you have money to spare

1:57 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

We tend to forget that one day we will return to mud so why the takabur God Knows..I get so fustrated with such attitude...Well the world will teach him I guess

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home